POSITION: Hydrographic Surveyor II
|SALARY:||$61,710.00 – $94,566.00 Annually|
|OPENING DATE: 08/22/18|
|CLOSING DATE: 09/07/18 05:00 PM|
|The Port of Portland has long standing contract with the US Army Corps of Engineers (since 1891) to maintain the Columbia River navigation channel to 43 feet. Most of this work takes place during dredge season which is approximately between the months of June through November. The dredging operation covers approximately 106 miles from Astoria to Portland. The Hydrographic Surveyor will work alongside the Port’s dredge vessel “Oregon” conducting and directing surveys in accordance with the US Army Corps of Engineers contract.|
|SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES|
|Lead the hydrographic surveys along the Columbia River between Astoria and Portland for the Port’s dredging vessel “Oregon” maintaining the operation in accordance with the United States Army Corps of Engineers contract Utilize advanced techniques to perform and direct accurate and complete hydrographic and land surveys at all Port facilities Prepare project scope of work, appropriate methods and equipment and cost estimates for the survey aspect of engineering and land development projects Process field measurements into X, Y, Z positions with point descriptions when necessary utilizing Hypack, Terramodel, Trimble Business Center and AutoCad Manage survey consultants and Port technicians through all phases of Port hydrographic and land survey projects Lead hydrographic activities by providing professional and technical support, expertise, and guidance to Port staff, Port operating areas, and outside consultants and agencies for development of Port projects Provide data in appropriate format for the use of the United States Army Corps of Engineers, dredge Oregon personnel, Port personnel and stakeholders Manage and archive all hydrographic survey files for future use and liability Serve as backup for the quality control manager performing water quality monitoring andI.T. support for the Port’s dredging operation and the Port’s dredge vessel “Oregon”Provide field and office support for the Port survey department during the off-dredging season|
Bachelor’s degree in surveying and/or geomatics with specific focus on land and hydrographic surveying or related field; or extended experience and associate degree (preferred).Minimum 4 years’ experience working as a land surveyor and 4 years as a hydrographic surveyorExperience working in marine and airfield security environments; or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experienceExperience as a project lead of hydrographic and land surveying projectsTechnical and professional competence related to surveying, design, boundary determination, land divisions, hydrographic and constructionExperience using GPS field data collection equipment and softwareOregon Professional Land Surveyor license (PLS) (preferred)ACSM-THSOA Certified Hydrographer (preferred)Experience in Hypack, Terramodel, Trimble Business Center and CAD (AutoCAD and LDD) terrain modeling and draftingKnowledge and understanding of surveying theory and practice and in-depth understanding of engineering design concepts and survey practices related to land divisions, easements, hydrographic surveys and boundary determinationExperience using GPS survey instruments, terrestrial total station, electronic levels and software to accomplish the collection of field data for hydrographic and land surveyingObtain security badging at marine terminals, PDX and other Port facilities, which may require a background checkValid Oregon or Washington driver’s license or the ability to obtain one (required)
|SKILLS AND ABILITIES|
|Skilled atComputer and general Microsoft Office skillsStrong verbal and written communication skillsReading and interpreting architectural and engineering design drawingsProducing neat and organized survey notes under all weather conditions Ability to:Assess conditions to determine methods, equipment and procedures for conducting/directing hydrographic and field surveysStrong ability to work with different agencies and departmentsOperate survey total stations, electronic levels, hydrographic survey equipment and provide professional support/expertise and guidance to Port operating areasDemonstrate the Port’s commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive|
- Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don’t just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
- Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
- Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
- ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that he or she needs an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6690