TerraSond Geophysicists are responsible for planning, collecting, processing and analyzing multibeam, sidescan, magnetometer, sub-bottom and other geophysical sensors. Under the supervision of the Project Manager, he or she serves as a point person for all geophysical issues, collaborates with hydrographers, project managers and other SME’s to plan, acquire, process and analyze multi-sensor datasets. He or she will oversee the work of technicians, junior technicians, and data processors. The geophysicist is responsible for final reporting or may be part of a team providing elements of final reports.
This position may be required to serve as a member of the vessel crew as needed.
Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
· The Marine Geophysicist collects and interprets geophysical data including but not limited to data collected with: sub-bottom profilers, magnetometers, gradiometers, high resolution seismic including boomers and sparker systems (single and multi-channel), ground penetrating radar, sidescan sonar, multibeam and singlebeam sonar, cone penetrometers, electrical resistivity sensors, gravity meters and other instruments used to assess the character and physical measurements upon and beneath the earth
· Analyzes project goals, plans collection methods, determines suitable geophysical equipment for achieving project goals, installs, calibrates, tunes and operates equipment, and interprets resultant data
· Analyzes and interprets geological and geophysical information from sources such as survey data as part of a hydrographic or land survey team or 3rd party sources
· Analyzes and processes data using project specified software packages such as CARIS, Sonar Wiz, Oasis Montaj, Radex Pro, Hypack and similar packages
· The Marine Geophysicist oversees and approves Quality Assurance and Quality Control of collected and processed geophysical data
· Researches and provides required geophysical data to plan survey operations, specifications and sensor choices
· Assists in establishing project goals and objectives
· Writes and proofs project descriptive reports, desktop studies, whitepapers and technical proposal components
· Participates in and collaborate with multidisciplinary project teams
· Plans, installs and operates hydrographic instrumentation including multibeam and single beam sonar, sidescan sonar, positioning systems and collection software
· Processes hydrographic data both in conjunction with geophysical survey data and solely
· Actively participates in Operations, department, and other meetings as directed by supervisor
· BS in Geophysics; MS in Geophysics strongly preferred
· Experience with signal processing
· Experience with hydrographic and marine geophysical data analytical tools including Caris
· Extensive background in mathematics to include arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
Skills and Special Requirements/ Licensing:
· Demonstrated commitment to safety principles and protocols
· Comprehensive knowledge of multiple types of geophysical data to include electromagnetics, magnetics, seismic, sonar, and gravity
· Working understanding of geodesy and coordinate systems
· Basic inversion theory knowledge
· Ability to plan and execute projects from start to finish
· Merchant Mariners Physical may be required for vessel work
· Valid driver’s license
· Ability to procure a passport
Work duties are performed in a combination office and field environments. Field work is performed outdoors and may take place in inclement weather and extreme temperatures. Hydrographic survey work requires working at sea for extended periods of time and may require living and working in close, cramped quarters. Both field and office work require occasional heavy lifting of survey equipment. Responsibilities may require an adjusted work schedule, long days, and evening/weekend hours in order to meet project deadlines. Extensive travel is required.
TERRASOND, an experienced multidisciplinary organization, remains one of the few truly independent, agile, client-focused survey companies. We deliver innovative, reliable geospatial solutions with a strong company-wide culture in HSE/Q.
OUR GREATEST resource is our people.
Our mission is to collect, compile, and identify geospatial and geophysical information that provides the best possible solution offering the lowest risk for our clients.
Local around the globe, we excel at executing remote and challenging surveys. We have successfully completed thousands of surveys in over 28 countries around the world for over 330 clients. These range from inland surveys to deep ocean seabed exploration and mapping projects.
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of: race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by country, regional or local law.
Please log in here to apply.
If you require an accommodation to complete the application, please contact Human Resources at (907) 745-7215 x147.
TerraSond is committed to a drug free workplace. Drug screening and background checks are required.